Monday, November 30, 2009

Welcome Charlotte Mary Curran

This little peach arrived yesterday, November 29th (two days early), at 9:06 am.
She weighed 7 lbs 12 oz and was 19 3/4 " long. She had quite the traumatic event happen as she was being welcomed into this world which I'll explain below. These picture are some random ones of her first 24 hours and are in reverse order.

Darling little girl finally sleeping for hours in the morning. This was taken exactly 24 hours after she was born.

Throughout the night she didn't quite know what she wanted and we didn't know what she wanted... it was a rough first night. But Ben was awesome and switched off all night with her because she refused to be put down.


She looks really different now than in these first few shots of her.
LOVE all of her hair. As I was pushing, Ben and everyone else announced that she had a ton of dark brown hair. We high fived - I was that excited.

My whole 15 seconds with her before they took her for monitoring for a few hours.
The NICU team was there waiting to help her out.
Right before the lovely epidural.
I know what you're thinking about the picture below... hot. This is me pacing the hallway trying to get the labor to progress a bit more.
I think this picture can speak for itself

For the past week or so I had been having contractions and by Thanksgiving they were getting pretty strong and closer together. Ben and I both thought it would happen over the weekend, rather than on the due date. So we were able to enjoy Thanksgiving, black Friday shopping, and getting our Christmas tree on Saturday. Then on Saturday the contractions were consistently 3-5 min apart for 2 hours by 6:30 pm. We went to the hospital, but they said I was only dilated to 2 cm; so they had me walk around for an hour to see if I was in labor. After that hour, I was dilated to 3 cm and they admitted me. At this point, the contractions were now 1.5-2.5 min apart and strong enough that I couldn't walk anymore. They started me on pitocen and inserted the epidural, which only worked on my right side, but was fortunately corrected after a few hours. Shortly after starting the epidural, my water broke spontaneously, which had meconium in it (Charlotte's first bowel movement), so they had to contact the NICU team to be there when she came out. At 8:15 am or so I started to push and when she arrived they immediately had Ben cut the cord and they worked on her for a good 10 - 15 min because she had inhaled the meconium. She wasn't moving much the whole time so we were both scared for awhile but she ended up being fine and there aren't any lasting effects.

I absolutely loved the nurses, residents, and attendings - everyone had a great sense of humor which totally helped me because when I get nervous I joke a lot. It was definitely an interesting experience - the whole giving birth thing. We definitely had a rough night, but are getting the hang of certain things and completely guessing on others. But we absolutely adore and love her to pieces!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a.b.c said...

congratulations! I'm so glad everything went well with the birth- she does look cute!

Emily Kate said...

Oh Jamie, congratulations! She's beautiful!! Love all that hair! I'm so tickled to read this because I had a really vivid dream this morning that my baby girl had been born and I woke up so disappointed! So I'm glad at least your little one really is here. :) Can't wait to see more pictures.

Maureen said...

CONGRATS, Jamie & Ben! I was thinking of you all weekend, I am so excited and happy for you! She is a DOLL! You must be having such a ball at home - enjoy it!

Becky said...

What a Peach is right...she is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing the play by play - it was as though we were there with you. You two will be just darling parents. I LOVE YOU!

Your favorite Aunt -

Becky

Natalie said...

ADORABLE! Love the hair also....Congratulations and, of course, good luck! You are both going to be way fun parents for her.

Jodie said...

Congratulations! She's darling!! And isn't it so much nicer to have her OUT? :) Good luck figuring out the mommy/daddy thing. Some time it takes a while, but it's definitely worth it in the end. :)

Coleman Family said...

Oh that little sweetie pie! We can't get enough of looking at her pictures! The girls keep saying, "Can we see baby Charlotte's picture again?!" She honestly could not be any cuter! Hope you are doing well, newborns are stinkers that like to sleep during the day and stay up ALL night! No worries though, they turn it around soon! Enjoy her and give her lots of extra kisses from the Colemans! Love you Ben and Jamie!

kcobb said...

We always have a rough night the first night too, but at least that way nights only get better : ) Welcome to parenthood and congrats!

Kristen Sheranian said...

Hello she is seriously the cutest darling girl ever!!!!Man that is so crazy. I am so glad that everything is okay. I will call you soon so see how you are doing. I know life is crazy in the first few days so I will let you be for now. So proud of you. You are going to be the best mommy ever. You look amazing by the way. I would have never known you had a baby. I looked so horrible after I had Canon, hence there are no pictures posted of me right after. What a cute little family. We are so happy for you!

Krissi said...

i tear up a little every time i read a birth story, but you really got me good! We are so happy for you. She is beautiful and I love that she is already running the show. enjoy her while she is small, it goes too fast

Brandon and Jenn said...

Congrats! She is PRECIOUS! I wish I could be there to give her a hug. I'm sorry to hear that it was a traumatic delivery, but luckily Heavenly Father was watching over her and she is doing well now. Get as much sleep as you can (I know, easier said than done).

Coleman Family said...

Just popping in to say that as soon as the girls woke up this morning, they said they wanted to the see Charlotte's pictures again! They kept stroking the computer screen where her cheeks were! :)

Dear Little Dude said...

ohmy gracious she is precious!!!! Congrats she is beautiful!

Jon and Heidi said...

Congrats! We are so excited for you. It does get easier and better. She is beautiful!

Brock, Kim, Maddi, Brody, and Maisie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! She is absolutely adorable...enjoy every second...the time goes by too fast!

Brock, Kim, Maddi, Brody, and Maisie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! She is absolutely adorable...cannot wait to meet her in person =) Enjoy every single second, because they grow way too fast!